Hurricane Sandy Approaches: How to Get Prepared
Hurricane Sandy is making her way up the coast, with many models predicting the storm will take an unprecidented track into the east coast, possibly making landfall on Delmarva. It's advisable to be proactive and prepare your home and family for the storm, ahead of time.
Ready.gov recommends the following actions be taken regarding. (Visit the website for additional details):
- Learn the elevation level of your property and whether the land is flood-prone. This will help you know how your property will be affected when storm surge or tidal flooding are forecasted.
- Learn community hurricane evacuation routes and how to find higher ground. Determine where you would go and how you would get there if you needed to evacuate.
- Make plans to secure your property:
- Cover all of your home’s windows. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows. A second option is to board up windows with 5/8” marine plywood, cut to fit and ready to install. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking.
- Install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof to the frame structure. This will reduce roof damage.
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Reinforce your garage doors; if wind enters a garage it can cause dangerous and expensive structural damage.
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- If in a high-rise building, be prepared to take shelter on or below the 10th floor
- Make sure to have at least a few days worth of food (non perishable) and bottled water stocked up.
- Fill any necessary prescriptions
- Stock up on candles and batteries
- Fill the gas tanks in vehicles
Watch the storm Live in Ocean City from the safety of your home.
Outside my Window - I don't care if it is foggy...more
Sea - Worthy Valentine's Ideas - This year, like many others,...more
99 post but the bitch ain't one - This could be the sympathetic...more
Outside my Window - Good glorious morning! ...more
2011 Movie Sequels - 2011 Movie SequelsOk, I am a...more
Nautical and Wildlife Art Festival & North American Craft Show - January 15 & 16, 2011: The...more
Outside my Window - Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...more
Outside my Window - I think winter sunsets are...more
A Valentine's Gripe - As January begins to come to...more